Saturday, September 26, 2009

All this from our First doctors visit...

Did they tell you at the Hospital that your son has a heart mumur?
Your baby has jaundice. His counts are above average. I forgot what the average is, but his counts are 16.4 and 20 is to high. (Jaundice from breast feeding.) I am having to give him formula right now to try and get his levels down. Also having him sit in the sun light in just a diaper. He has spit up atleast 5 times within the last hour. Waiting to hear what the doctor says about that.
He weighed in at 6 pounds 10 ounces this morning. Doctor isn't too concerned about that right now, but said we will keep an eye on it.
Charlie goes in tomorrow to see the cardiologist in the morning to see if his heart murmur is anything to be concerned about. He had xrays of his chest taken today, gotta take those to the apointment tomorrow.
Good thing I had gotten a breast pump! I am pumping and storing right now. Charlie was doing so good this morning latching on and eating!!
Just a side note... I HATE the smell of formula.
Will update when I know more.

After our appointment on Wednesday and giving him a bottle of Good Start formula, Charlie wasn't doing so good. He was spitting up all the formula, not wanted to eat after that, and no acting like himself at all. Didn't even make a noise when I changed his diaper, he hates having his diaper changed!
I ended up taking him to Sacred Heart hospital about an hour away from where we live. (One of the best childrens hospitals around) My Mom drove me and Mother in law road with us also. Andrew was suppose to be trying to get as much sleep as he could.
They got us right into the ER. This was about 6p.m. Between 6p.m. and 2a.m. they took his blood, urine, and done a spinal test. They also hooked him up to an IV to get fluids in him again. Denise (mother in law) was such a great help! I couldn't bare to see my baby getting poked at by all theses needles or hear him fussing becuase of it. She helped hold Charlie while they took his blood, urine and did the spinal test. When we got there Charlie's temperature was also low. Something was just not adding up to why all of these things were happening. Earlier in the day they also found out that he has a heart murmur, and jaundice. That is why all the different test were done.
By 2a.m. on Thursday they had us in our room. Both mothers left since they had to be to work in just a couple hours. We got hardly any sleep at all. By the time we got to the room I was pumping my milk and giving Charlie a bottle. He was happy with that. While down in the ER they had also started him on two antibiotics. This was done just as a percaution. Just in case something were to come back positive in any of his test that he had done.
Nurses were in every couple hours to check his vitals and make sure that his tempature was staying up. Thursday morning he had another bilirubin (jaundice) test. It was a 13 down from a 16.4!! He also had his heart test as planned and even had the same doctor that was going to do them in the first place.
Charlie has two holes in his heart. The one hole they aren't the slightest bit worried about, but the other is a little different story. If I understand this right. It's a small to morerate size hole that goes from the Left ventricle to the right ventricle. Which is allowing the blood to flow between the two, from the left to the right. This is called a Ventricular Septal Defect. We are hoping within the next few weeks this hole heals itself. It it doesn't then Charlie will be put on medication to help it close up,if by chance the medicine doesn't help then he will have to have surgery. This hole is making his heart work harder than it should.
To find out since his heart is having to work harder than it should, it is taking up a lot of his energy. This could very well be the reason why he doesn't want to nurse for long periods at a time. I am still trying to nurse, but if he doesn't want to then I just pump and give him a bottle which is easier on his heart. Like today he nursed for a little while, but didn't get enough out so he ate about 2 ounces from bottle also. At this point in time I am not worried about him nursing, just making sure he is getting the food that he needs. I am glad that I am able to pump so he can have breast milk!
Thursday Andrew and Samantha (Andrews sister) came up there. Andrew came after work and ended up sleeping in the hospital bed most of the day. Samantha stayed up there for a while and let me and Andrew leave the room and get something to eat while she stayed with Charlie. Denise did the same thing and watched Charlie while we got dinner.
Throughout the day they monitored Charlie and continued to give him medicine. By Thursday afternoon Charlie was started to get back to himself again. I was excited to hear him scream and cry when getting a diaper changed.
Today they ended up having to take blood twice for the bilirubin test. The fist one clotted while they were checking the levels. First thing in the morning they said he would be released right after the results came back fom the test. It took them forever to get the results back. Come about 1 in the afternoon, we get told that all they have to do is do the release papers and then we are free to go. We didn't get out of there until 4! I was getting pretty mad at this point. It didn't help that I had only 4 straight hours of sleep since Wednesday morning. Charlie's Great Aunt was nice enough to come sit with him while his Mommy and Daddy got out of the room for a little while and got something to eat!
We are all home now. Charlie is doing good. He has a follow up appointment with the specialist in two weeks, and will have a follow up with his doctor hopefully this next week. Our WIC appointment has gotten pushed back to October 8th since Charlie was in the hospital still today when his appointment was suppose to be.
I think that is all that has gone on the last couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment